Tuesday 2 October 2018

Looking after the outside

I've never considered myself beautiful; for a start, I've struggled with weight all my life, have pretty low self-esteem and have periods of depression from time to time.
I'm not looking for sympathy as all of these things are manageable with the right kind of support (and a lot of love - thanks family and friends).

I generally have good skin and that's a blessing. Thing is, just lately, I've noticed a couple of extra lines, a blemish or two...one of the inevitable things about growing older. Any kind of skin care routine has been decidedly haphazard and I've used whatever suitable product fell of the supermarket shelf - especially if it was on offer. So, my friends, the time has come to look after the outside! 

I can't pinpoint when my passion for eco-friendly began, probably a mixture of seeing the amount of litter around the countryside and beach or watching a TV programme showing just how much our human waste affects the environment and our fellow inhabitants of planet earth. Maybe it's an age thing, but I've even started reading ingredient labels on the things I buy!
This led me to experimenting with making my own washing powder, conditioner, cleaning sprays and toilet cleaner without the nasties. Not only do they work and have much less impact on our surroundings but, after the initial trials and a little time, they work out significantly cheaper - especially if you buy the ingredients in bulk.

Well, the natural next step was to look at personal products and, after research, I've found something that:
Doesn't contain parabens... - a preservative found in most personal hygiene products - Parabens have been measured in breast tissue, breast milk and placental tissue. High concentrations of parabens have been found to mimic the actions of oestrogen, which is associated with increased risk of breast cancer. . [source: https://www.breastcanceruk.org.uk]
...or SLS/ALS... Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) is a chemical that’s commonly used in soaps, shampoos, shower gels and toothpaste. It works as a surfactant, trapping oil-based dirt so that it can be rinsed away with water. It’s also an effective foaming agent — it turns liquids into foam, creating the rich lather that most of us expect and enjoy when we’re washing our face, hair and body.
Despite being used safely and successfully since the 1930s, SLS has a bad reputation. Although experts agree that it’s safe to use, SLS can be drying. This is more likely to be an issue for those who have dry, processed or afro hair, or suffer from skin conditions like eczema, dermatitis or psoriasis. [source:  https://uk.lush.com/article/dont-stress-about-sls]
...or unsustainable palm oil... We've all seen those horrific images of rainforest being destroyed in the quest for palm oil, indigenous peoples being removed from their lands, rare and beautiful animals being dislodged from their homes. Demand for palm oil continues to increase with almost 50% of the things we eat, drink or use in the UK contains this precious substance - and that's just the UK!
... or formaldehydes ( I remember using this to pickle rats during my A Level Biology course), Phthalates, Alcohol/Ethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Mineral oils, Petroleum, Gluten, Lanolin, Talc, Triclosan, Beeswax, Honey, Harsh preservatives, Toxic chemicals and Microbeads.

The added bonus is that there is guaranteed no animal testing - all products are vegan, ethical, green, freshly made in the UK and the company runs carbon neutral. Well, it all sounded a bit too good to be true, right? That's what I thought - there has to be a catch - and I suspected that everything would be super expensive.
More research showed that the products are not super cheap, but neither are they ridiculously expensive. They compare with the likes of Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Charlotte Tilbury, Elemis and L'Occitane and in many cases work out cheaper.

So, you've probably sussed by now that I'm impressed and have begun buying and trying these products. First impressions are fab...nothing artificial, gorgeous natural scents and simple to use. I'll keep you posted on any changes. 

Oh, and I might have decided to join the company as an ambassador...my own business at the grand old age of almost six-oh!!!

I'm currently planning a launch party...and I'm ridiculously excited...you're all invited of course!

Jill










No comments:

Post a Comment

When the anxiety overtakes me...

Not feeling very beautiful at all this evening ... inside or out! Mental Health blog coming up... We’ve had a wonderful day, exploring Lis...